VO, 2.25 st. (SS), 3 st. (WS)
Content: Part I (summer term)
- Review: Molecular structures and theories of chemical bonding
- Alkanes and cycloalkanes—Properties, nomenclature, types of isomerism
- Reactions of alkanes and cycloalkanes
- Haloalkanes and their reactions: Nucleophilic substitution and elimination
- Alcohols—Properties and reactions
- Ethers and epoxides
- Organic sulfur compounds: Thiols, thioethers, sulfoxides, sulfones
- Alkenes and their reactions: Electrophilic addition, redox reactions, and polymerisation
- Alkynes – Properties and reactions
- Conjugated π-systems: Allyl system, conjugated dienes, extended π-systems
- Aromatic hydrocarbons—Criteria of aromaticity
Content: Part II (winter term)
- Review: Aromatic hydrocarbons—Criteria of aromaticity
- Reactions of arenes
- Properties and reactions of selected substituted arenes
- Heteroarenes—Properties, categorisation, selected heterocyclic syntheses
- Carbonyl compounds: Aldehydes and ketones
- Nucleophilic addition reactions to carbonyl compounds
- Reactions at the carbonyl-Cα: Enols and enolates
- α,β-Unsaturated carbonyl compounds—Properties and reactions
- ‘Umpolung’ of carbonyl reactivity
- Carboxylic acids and their derivatives
- Amines—Properties and reactions
- Amine derivatives: Imines, enamines, oximes, hydrazones
- Nitroalkanes and nitroalkenes
- Rearrangement reactions
- Organometallic compounds and transition metal catalysis
- J. Clayden, N. Greeves, S. Warren: Organic Chemistry, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, 2012.
- K. P. C. Vollhardt, N. E. Schore: Organische Chemie, 5. Auflage, Wiley-VCH, 2011.
- P. Y. Bruice: Organische Chemie, 5. Auflage, Pearson, 2007.
- T. Okuyama, H. Maskill: Organic Chemistry: A mechanistic approach, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- D. Klein: Organic Chemistry, 2nd ed., Wiley, 2014.